[SciPy-user] Optimization / fitting routines

Webb Sprague webb.sprague at gmail.com
Sun Mar 19 23:55:22 CST 2006

Hi all,

(I am a little bit over my head, so if I say things that sound stupid,
please excuse.)

(1) Could someone point me toward documentation for optimization
routines in numpy?  I need the routine to be very general, excepting
an arbitrary Python function that accepts a test value, and a target
value for that function. We can assume that the function will be
monotonic.

(2)  Could someone point me or recommend a book that clearly describes
these problems mathematically at an "advanced undergrad" level?

Currently we have a hand-rolled binary search like thing, but it can
narrow down on a value .2 off from the target, but because the search
increment is always shrinking, the routine loops forever.

Thanks for your help and your patience :)