[SciPy-user] Help installing SciPy.

Gary pajer at iname.com
Thu Mar 23 15:11:50 CST 2006

Armando Serrano Lombillo wrote:

>[...]
>

>>>Step 2 (numpy): Downloaded Tortoise SVN: ok. Tried to compile:
>>>failure. Had to manually edit the PATH enviroment variable to add the
>>>MinGW/bin path (that should have been explained somewhere).
>>>

>>Isn't that in the MinGW docs?
>>

>[...]
>
>If I have to read the MinGW docs just to install SciPy, then something
>is going wrong. Really, the installation instruction in the SciPy page
>should contain everything you need to know to install SciPy. Would it
>be a good idea if I updated that in the installation page?

By all means.  I guess I had set the path long enough ago that I
forgot.  Since the procedure is fresh in your mind, and I'd have to
figure it out again, why don't you go ahead and make the change.

>[...]
>

>>I think the one you want is WinNT_P4SSE2.zip.   (Not 100% sure, but
>>pretty sure.)
>>Then put it anywhere and set the environment variable.
>>
>>For example, I have all the ATLAS files in c:\MinGW\lib\atlas, so I
>>set ATLAS = c:\MinGW\lib\atlas
>>

>[...]
>
>Ok, did it and scipy compiled (I had to restart my computer after
>setting the environment variable). If tested it and it works.

Hmm.  I never had to restart the computer.  If you change the
environment variable using the WinXP Control Panel facility, it should
be enough to open a new command line window (maybe you tried using a
command line window that was already open when you changed the
environment variable).  If you use the DOS-style "set ATLAS = ..."
interactively, then you should be able to continue immediately in that
window.  Every time you recompile, you would have to execute "set ATLAS
= ..." again.

I do the latter.  Since I don't compile very often, I avoid cluttering
the environment.

thanks,
gary