[SciPy-user] Scipy on MacOS X, troubles

Erin Sheldon erin.sheldon at gmail.com
Mon Nov 6 11:03:38 CST 2006

On 11/6/06, Marco <gaedol at gmail.com> wrote:
> I am able now to import scipy without any problems.
> This, tho, has problems:
>
> Python 2.4.3 (#1, Nov  5 2006, 01:11:36)
> [GCC 4.0.0 20041026 (Apple Computer, Inc. build 4061)] on darwin

Odd.

I'm guessing here, but the problem may now be that, due to
path issues, some of your modules were compiled with
the MacPorts gcc,etc and some were not. From your previous
posts, some may have actually used 3.3 which could be a problem.
If both are version 4.* it would not usually be a big problem,
but in my experience the apple gcc4 behaves differently.
Others may have more info on this.

If this were the case, it is a pain to fix because you have
to trace back all the dependencies compiled in order
to install the packages you wanted.

Before cleaning everything out, maybe others have
better ideas.  But if you do brave that route, either
start the whole MacPorts tree over from scratch or
remove each package:
  sudo port uninstall package
  sudo port clean --all package
Then follow the instructions again on my MacPorts
webpage.

In general you might want to add shortcut links to gcc,g++,and
gfortran to gaurantee you use those versions.
  sudo ln -s /opt/local/bin/gcc-dp-4.1 /opt/local/bin/gcc
  sudo ln -s /opt/local/bin/g++-dp-4.1 /opt/local/bin/g++
  sudo ln -s /opt/local/bin/gfortran-dp-4.1 /opt/local/bin/gfortran
Erin