[SciPy-user] exact spline interpolation of an irregular dataset

John Travers jtravs at gmail.com
Tue Nov 7 07:07:54 CST 2006

Hi Maik,

On 07/11/06, Maik Trömel <maik.troemel at maitro.net> wrote:
> (again) i've got some problems concerning spline interpolation. I want
> to interpolate a irregular data field. I've mapped this data field on a
> 2d-array.
> "iObj_spline_smooth =
> scipy.interpolate.fitpack2.SmoothBivariateSpline(x, y, v)"  works fine.

> Is there a posibility to make an exact interpolation?

Yes, but not with the method used in BivariateSpline (exact
interpolation requires the parameter s to be set to 0, but this will
fail for the currently used method). If you have a regular grid then
using RectBivariateSpline will work. As you haven't got a regular grid
then I suggest you look at

http://www.scipy.org/Cookbook/Matplotlib/Gridding_irregularly_spaced_data

which tells you how to do it with a package in the sandbox. We are
currently working on improving this situation (within the next few
weeks), so stay tuned.

Best regards,
John Travers