[SciPy-user] Have I been given up on? (Was: In need of an OS 10.4.8-compatible Universal binary)

David L Goldsmith David.L.Goldsmith at noaa.gov
Wed Nov 15 14:53:16 CST 2006

Robert Kern wrote:
> David L Goldsmith wrote:
>
>> I apologize for the tone of my last post.  Have I been given up on?
>> No, but please have patience. We all help out on the list only according to how
>> much time we have available. Sometimes, that's less than we'd like.

Of course, I just wanted to make sure that people hadn't abandoned me
because, in a moment of frustration, I vented on-list.
>> David Goldsmith wrote:

>>> OK, I now have:
>>>
>>>     $ gcc --version
>>>     powerpc-apple-darwin8-gcc-4.0.1 (GCC) 4.0.1 (Apple Computer, Inc.
>>> build 5367)
>>>     Copyright (C) 2005 Free Software Foundation, Inc.
>>>     This is free software; see the source for copying conditions.  There
>>> is NO
>>>     warranty; not even for MERCHANTABILITY or FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR
>>> PURPOSE.
>>>
>>> I do:
>>>
>>>     $ python setup.py build_src build_clib --fcompiler=gnu95 build_ext
>>> --fcompiler=gnu95 build
>>>
>>> I (still) get:
>>>
>>>             :
>>>             :
>>>     Lib/integrate/odepack/vode.f:3368: internal compiler error: tree
>>> check: expected ssa_name, have var_decl in verify_ssa, at tree-ssa.c:677
>>>     Please submit a full bug report,
>>>     with preprocessed source if appropriate.
>>>     See <URL:http://gcc.gnu.org/bugs.html> for instructions.
>>>     error: Command "/usr/bin/gfortran -Wall -ffixed-form
>>> -fno-second-underscore -fPIC -O3 -funroll-loops -mcpu=7450 -mtune=7450
>>> -c -c
>>>     Lib/integrate/odepack/vode.f -o
>>> build/temp.macosx-10.4-fat-2.4/Lib/integrate/odepack/vode.o" failed with
>>> exit status 1
>>>

> Did you deliberately move the gfortran executable into /usr/bin/? The binary
> tarball I pointed you to would unpack it into /usr/local/bin/.

No, but I'll deliberately move it to /usr/local/bin/ and see what results.
>>> PS: How do I check that my vecLib is installed/working correctly?  I
>>> looked for tests (locally) but couldn't find any - is there a test suite
>>> for it online somewhere?
>>>

> You could probably download the LAPACK 3.0 tarball and modify its Makefiles to
> build its test programs using vecLib.framework . However, it is always
> installed, and unless something has modified it since you installed your OS, it
> is almost certainly working correctly (at least as correctly as it ever will work).

Yeah, I think I'll wait on that 'til I've exhausted all other possibilities.

Steve (et al.): might it help to see the entire build output - maybe
there's something earlier that's not registering w/ me?  (It's quite
long, which is why previously I've only provided the last, fatal error,
but there are other warnings and some non-fatal errors prior to
failure.)  My presumption is that, if the answers is yes, I should email
it directly to interested parties?

Thanks again,

DG
--