[SciPy-user] Have I been given up on? (Was: In need of an OS 10.4.8-compatible Universal binary)

David Goldsmith David.L.Goldsmith at noaa.gov
Wed Nov 15 18:44:01 CST 2006

Robert Kern wrote:
> David L Goldsmith wrote:

>>> No, but I'll deliberately move it to /usr/local/bin/ and see what results.
>>>

>> Didn't fix - still same "crash".
>>

> The location of the executable isn't the issue itself. It merely demonstrates
> that it didn't come from the same source that I was expecting. Where did you get
> gfortran from?

Ah, I see.  I got it from where you said, but in the process of getting
it from there again, just to be sure, I figured out that it _was_
unpacking everything into a folder called usr/local/bin (and
usr/local/lib, etc.), but not _the_ /usr/local/bin.  Rather, probably
since my default download location is my Desktop, it was creating a usr
folder tree on my Desktop and unpacking everything there (though rather
understandable behavior, I would say this is a bug, i.e., it should be
able to find _the correct_ /usr/local to put things in, agreed?).  So, I
moved the usr/local tree on my Desktop to my /usr/local directory - it
didn't result in success, but did change the point and nature of the
failure:

         <snip>
    Fortran fix compiler: /usr/local/bin/gfortran -Wall -ffixed-form
-fno-second-underscore -Wall -fno-second-underscore -fPIC -O3
-funroll-loops -mcpu=7450     -mtune=7450
    creating build/temp.macosx-10.4-fat-2.4
    creating build/temp.macosx-10.4-fat-2.4/Lib
    creating build/temp.macosx-10.4-fat-2.4/Lib/fftpack
    creating build/temp.macosx-10.4-fat-2.4/Lib/fftpack/dfftpack
    compile options: '-c'
    gfortran:f77: Lib/fftpack/dfftpack/dcosqb.f
    gfortran: error trying to exec 'f951': execvp: No such file or directory
    gfortran: error trying to exec 'f951': execvp: No such file or directory
    error: Command "/usr/local/bin/gfortran -Wall -ffixed-form
-fno-second-underscore -fPIC -O3 -funroll-loops -mcpu=7450 -mtune=7450
-c -c
    Lib/fftpack/dfftpack/dcosqb.f -o
build/temp.macosx-10.4-fat-2.4/Lib/fftpack/dfftpack/dcosqb.o" failed
with exit status 1

I've put the entire stdout and stderr output of the build(s) (in the
order in which they were generated, i.e., there's a modicum of stderr
output amongst the stdout output) at (anonymous)
ftp://ftp.orr.noaa.gov/public/HMRD/DG/buildlogs/.  buildlog_Kern is the
output from issuing the long command you indicated in a previous post,
Robert, and buildlog_Steve is the output from issuing simply "python
setup.py build."  And yes, I did delete the entire build folder before
each attempt.

Again, thanks!

DG