[SciPy-user] Have I been given up on? (Was: In need of an OS 10.4.8-compatible Universal binary)

David L. Goldsmith David.L.Goldsmith at noaa.gov
Wed Nov 15 22:17:24 CST 2006

Robert Kern wrote:
> David Goldsmith wrote:
>
>> Robert Kern wrote:

>>> The location of the executable isn't the issue itself. It merely demonstrates
>>> that it didn't come from the same source that I was expecting. Where did you get
>>> gfortran from?
>>>

>> Ah, I see.  I got it from where you said, but in the process of getting
>> it from there again, just to be sure, I figured out that it _was_
>> unpacking everything into a folder called usr/local/bin (and
>> usr/local/lib, etc.), but not _the_ /usr/local/bin.  Rather, probably
>> since my default download location is my Desktop, it was creating a usr
>> folder tree on my Desktop and unpacking everything there (though rather
>> understandable behavior, I would say this is a bug, i.e., it should be
>> able to find _the correct_ /usr/local to put things in, agreed?).
>>

> If you followed the instructions on the page, it would have installed correctly.
> It's just a dumb tarball; it can't find anything other than the relative paths
> to install to (and tarballs with absolute paths are very, very bad). The
> instructions show you how to give the appropriate root.
>
>   sudo tar -xvf gfortran-bin.tar -C /
>
> http://hpc.sourceforge.net/

Stuffit didn't even give me a chance to say where it should go, nor did
it leave the tarball "balled up" so that I might (would have to) do what
you indicate above, it automatically unballed it after downloading and
unzipping it - I suppose that means I need to change my Stuffit
preferences. :-)
>> So, I
>> moved the usr/local tree on my Desktop to my /usr/local directory - it
>> didn't result in success, but did change the point and nature of the
>> failure:
>>
>>          <snip>
>>     Fortran fix compiler: /usr/local/bin/gfortran -Wall -ffixed-form
>> -fno-second-underscore -Wall -fno-second-underscore -fPIC -O3
>> -funroll-loops -mcpu=7450     -mtune=7450
>>     creating build/temp.macosx-10.4-fat-2.4
>>     creating build/temp.macosx-10.4-fat-2.4/Lib
>>     creating build/temp.macosx-10.4-fat-2.4/Lib/fftpack
>>     creating build/temp.macosx-10.4-fat-2.4/Lib/fftpack/dfftpack
>>     compile options: '-c'
>>     gfortran:f77: Lib/fftpack/dfftpack/dcosqb.f
>>     gfortran: error trying to exec 'f951': execvp: No such file or directory
>>     gfortran: error trying to exec 'f951': execvp: No such file or directory
>>     error: Command "/usr/local/bin/gfortran -Wall -ffixed-form
>> -fno-second-underscore -fPIC -O3 -funroll-loops -mcpu=7450 -mtune=7450
>> -c -c
>>     Lib/fftpack/dfftpack/dcosqb.f -o
>> build/temp.macosx-10.4-fat-2.4/Lib/fftpack/dfftpack/dcosqb.o" failed
>> with exit status 1
>>

> Well, then something is still messed up with your gfortran installation. My f951
> executable is here:
>
>   /usr/local/libexec/gcc/i386-apple-darwin8.8.1/4.2.0/f951

OK, I'll follow that lead next.

| I've put the entire stdout and stderr output of the build(s) (in the
>> order in which they were generated, i.e., there's a modicum of stderr
>> output amongst the stdout output) at (anonymous)
>> ftp://ftp.orr.noaa.gov/public/HMRD/DG/buildlogs/.  buildlog_Kern is the
>> output from issuing the long command you indicated in a previous post,
>> Robert, and buildlog_Steve is the output from issuing simply "python
>> setup.py build."  And yes, I did delete the entire build folder before
>> each attempt.
>>

> I'm getting a 550 error code in response.
>
> 550 yet been approved for downloading by the site administrators.rators.

Damn, I'm sorry, I was told that _after_ I put it up I'd have to let my
help desk know (I guess this is why) - I let them know _before_, but I
suppose that wasn't good enough. :-)  Just as well, I'll follow the lead
above and post fresher results if necessary.

DG