[SciPy-user] About alternatives to Matlab

David Cournapeau david at ar.media.kyoto-u.ac.jp
Mon Nov 20 00:36:26 CST 2006

Peter Wang wrote

> Chaco is under very active development, but I do believe it is ready
> to be used by end users, especially if they don't mind giving much-
> needed feedback on what docs and additional examples would be most
> helpful. :)
My impression was chaco was abandonned, because it was difficult to find
any information on chaco from google (but this was a few weeks, maybe
even a few months ago). The precedent emails seem to imply I was wrong,
and I should check it further.

I understand that chaco is a toolkit to build "scientific" GUI, right ?
> We are using chaco for a lot of internal projects and it
> works quite well.  What sorts of plots and visualizations were you
> hoping to put together?
As I said, maybe I've used matplotlib incorrectly, or I didn't spend
enough time, but I found it really slow (and I have a powerful
workstation on today's standart), and not really useful interactively;
also, I often have various threading issues with the python interpreter
hanging (using ipython with pylab option).

In matlab, you can zoom, edit plots (to remove some lines, for example),
and I couldn't do that with matplotlib. Again, I cannot stress enough
that it may just because of my laziness and lack of investigation on
matplotlib side. Also, I would like to do things that matlab can not do,
like select data visually, and get the corresponding data back in the
python interpreter (why matlab does not make this kind of things easy is
beyond me for such an expensive software), etc...

Something else which would be really great is a (limited) waveform
editor, something I always dreamt of in matlab. Let's say I have a 10
second waveform in numpy array: a widget to plot its waveform (which may
require special interpolation), zoom it horizontaly or vertically,
select a part of to get the corresponding data... Right now, many
researchers I know in audio signal processing use something like
wavesurfer  (http://www.speech.kth.se/wavesurfer/) or an audio editor
like audacity for the editing/visualization, and matlab for the signal
processing. This is ackward. Being able to do this kind of visualization
is one of the reason why I switched to python/numpy/scipy (thinking at
worse, I could program it from scratch using qt, gtk or whatever toolkit
available); I haven't taken the time yet to do it.

Having this kind of plot would be really useful, I believe, for people
doing audio signal processing. Can chaco helps me for this ? Or should I
investigate further matplotlib ?

David