[SciPy-user] About alternatives to Matlab

David Cournapeau david at ar.media.kyoto-u.ac.jp
Mon Nov 20 01:11:23 CST 2006

Robert Kern wrote:

> Good heavens, no. We make binaries for Windows, but it works on Linux just fine.
> In fact we even make some binaries for Linux, too.
I got the same impression, actually, concerning enthought packages. It
may be useful to have a wiki page on this ?

Right now, in topical software, it says " Python Enthought Edition: for
Windows users, this is a very useful download, in a single package, of a
number of different tools for scientific computing (including many
listed in this page). This saves Windows users the hassles of manually
building all of these packages, some of which can be fairly difficult to
get to work. A similar project is underway for Mac OSX users." which
implies to me that it is just a binary thing for windows...

On the other hand, if I had follow the chaco link before, it would have
avoided some of my misconceptions...

David