[SciPy-user] Installing scipy on x86_64 opensuse 10.1 system

David Strozzi david.strozzi at gmail.com
Fri Nov 24 20:23:56 CST 2006

Christian Kristukat <ckkart <at> hoc.net> writes:

> I guess you have modified site.cfg to your needs? I can't help you any further
> with that problem but maybe save you from running into the next one: don't use
> SuSE blas/lapack libraries. They are buggy. You have to build them on your own.
>
> Christian

Hi,

Thanks.  I made a site.cfg file based on the next email in this thread.

Scipy now  builds and installs!  However, as you warned, I can't import scipy

due

to a symbols error in lapack (I have the suse version).  I'll have to build it

myself...

>From digging around a little, it seems the problem is that different Fortran

compilers use different names for their output routines, and thus leads to

undefined symbols when you mix code compiled w/ different compilers.  I have the

most recent opensuse blas and lapack's (build 940).

Is there a way the opensuse people can compile their libraries to get around

this?  Or, if I compile scipy with the same compiler as opensuse uses for blas,

will that fix things?

I love computers...