[SciPy-user] dual core scipy in windows (signal.lsim2)

A. M. Archibald peridot.faceted at gmail.com
Sat Nov 25 17:32:55 CST 2006

On 25/11/06, Ryan Krauss <ryanlists at gmail.com> wrote:
> I am running a python script that is taking 10-15 seconds to run a
> signal.lsim2 command (the number of steps I am asking for is fairly
> high).  I am fairly certain that lsim2 is mainly using ode routines in
> FORTRAN.  I am running this script on windows right now and noticed
> that when I look at the task manager performance indicator, python is
> using only 50% of my cpu.  I think this is because it is using only
> one core of my dual core processor.  Is there an easy way to take
> better advantage of dual core processors with scipy in Windows?  Is
> the situation much different in Linux (Ubuntu)?

On most hardware that offers parallel processing (such as dual-core
machines), programs need to be explicitly written to take advantage of
multiple processors. Normally if you write a program as a series of
instructions to be executed one after the other (that is, the normal
way) they will happen one after the other on one of the processors.
Essentially, you need to tell the machine "it's okay to do these two
things at once".

There are various techniques for taking advantage of multiple
processors, including running several programs at once, using python's
threads to do several tasks at once, or using MPI to spread the
computing work over several machines. But all of them require some
special programming on your part to take advantage of the second core
your machine has.

If the only slow operation in your program is a single call to lsim2,
you probably can't. But if, for example, you wanted to call it a
hundred times with a hundred different inputs, you could quite happily
use python's threads to run two (or more) at once.

A. M. Archibald