[SciPy-user] numpy-1.0rc2 still does not build on MacOS X 10.4.7 (PPC)

Travis Oliphant oliphant at ee.byu.edu
Tue Oct 17 16:47:05 CDT 2006

Tom Bridgman wrote:

>Selected gcc 3.3
>g77v3.4 installed from tarball
>fftw libraries installed as described in
>http://www.scipy.org/Installing_SciPy/Mac_OS_X
>
>numpy build still fails.  I suspect the important error is
>
>gcc: cannot specify -o with -c or -S and multiple compilations
>
>but I have no idea of where to start with this.
>
>I suspect is something to do with PPC vs Intel build options?
>Perhaps I need to turn off the '-c' which appears in the compile
>

>options but where is that located?

I think this is a Python build issue.  As far as I know the build flags
are gathered from Python.

Look for a config directory where Python is installed and the Makefile
in that directory.

On my system it is in

/usr/lib/python2.4/config/Makefile

Changing the options there seems to affect distutils which is where
numpy gets it's information about how to build.

-Travis