[SciPy-user] Can't run IPython from SuperPack. ??

Fernando Perez fperez.net at gmail.com
Wed Oct 18 00:47:47 CDT 2006

Hi Louis,

On 10/13/06, Louis Pecora <pecora at anvil.nrl.navy.mil> wrote:
> I installed the full SuperPack from SciPy.  Things seem to work well for
> pylab and scipy, but I want to use pylab/matplotlib in interactive
> mode.  The current wisdom is to do that in IPython.  The superpack
> intalled IPython down in /Lib/Framework/python...blah, blah/site-packages/.
>
> But typing ipython, IPython or any variations in the Terminal does
> nothing.  I don't see ipython in /bin  /usr/local/bin or other places I
> find python or pythonw executables.
>
> Any idea what I have to do to get up and running with IPython?
>
> MacOS X 10.4 on PPC laptop, python2.4, latest SciPy, Pylab and Matplotlib.
>
> Thanks for any help.
>
> By the way.   My congratulations and endorsement to all who put together
> the SuperPack and its contents.  That's the way to do it for us python
> users.  Almost one-stop shopping.  Very nicely done.

sorry for the delayed reply...

I'm not a mac user so I'm not 100% sure why the superpack isn't giving
you the ipython startup script.  This sounds like a build problem with
the SP, but fortunately one you can easily remedy manually.

Just grab

http://projects.scipy.org/ipython/ipython/browser/ipython/trunk/scripts/ipython?format=raw

and drop it anywwhere in your $PATH (chmod +x).

This startup script hasn't changed in years and is deliberately
trivial, so you should be fine just copying it by hand.

I hope this helps,