[SciPy-user] Installing SciPy on Intel Macs

Sam frizou excellent.frizou at gmail.com
Thu Oct 19 04:25:19 CDT 2006

Hi,

I installed succesfully the latest version of numpy and scipy on my
macintel (as described on the scipy wesite:
-Apple's developer tools
-gcc-intel-bin.tar.gz
-fftw version 3.1.2
-numpy 1.0.rc2
-scipy-0.5.1
).

But, when I do
from scipy import *

I have an error which I think is one you describe:

ImportError: Failure linking new module:
/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.4/lib/python2.4/site-packages/scipy/sparse/sparsetools.so:
Symbol not found: ___dso_handle
  Referenced from:
/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.4/lib/python2.4/site-packages/scipy/sparse/sparsetools.so
  Expected in: dynamic lookup

So, I downloaded and installed cctools 590.36. (the dmg)

Then reinstalled scipy doing

python setup.py build
sudo python serup.py install

But I still have the same error when I do
from scipy import *

I read on previous mails that this can be avoid by commentting
something concerning sparse matrices, but I need them.

Can you please detail how you succeed in your installation please ?

Thanks

On 10/19/06, Travis Oliphant <oliphant.travis at ieee.org> wrote:

> I've successfully installed SciPy on Intel Macs using gfortran and
> cctools 590.36
>
> The last one is necessary to get rid of the __dso_handle error that I
> was getting with an older version of cctools.
>
> I'm not sure if the new version of cctools is in the latest Xcode
> release of Mac OS X, but I suspect it is.  I just wanted to document
> this somewhere before I forget.
>
> -Travis

On obtient beaucoup plus avec un mot gentil et une arme qu'avec
seulement un mot gentil - "Al Capone".