[SciPy-user] numpy - scipy version hell

Travis Oliphant oliphant.travis at ieee.org
Fri Oct 27 16:31:44 CDT 2006

Ivan Nazarenko wrote:
> Travis Oliphant <oliphant <at> ee.byu.edu> writes:
>

>> Very few packages will have the correct versions of numpy and scipy that
>> work together.
>>
>> The latest that work together is Scipy 0.5.1 and NumPy 1.0rc2
>>
>> Look for an updated SciPy release to work with NumPy 1.0 when it comes
>> out next week.
>>
>> -Travis
>>

> I had a similar problem, and OK, I will wait until next Scipy release. But it
> is a bit odd that we can't download the 1.0rc2 version easily; sourceforge is
> only hosting 1.0 (final), at least for linux.

If you are building from scratch, then you don't need the binaries.  You
can build 1.0 and 0.5.1 and they will work together.  You will have a
few unit tests fail, but they are pretty inconsequential.

> I downloaded the most recent versions of numpy and scipy and can't make them
> work. And can't even download a compatible numpy version!!! Go figure...

what is the error you are getting?   They should work fine when you
build them yourself.

The only issue is binary compatibility which is the reason 1.0rc2
binaries are made available.