[SciPy-user] [Numpy-discussion] Need more comments from scientific community on python-dev

Fernando Perez fperez.net at gmail.com
Tue Oct 31 10:47:57 CST 2006

On 10/31/06, Rich Shepard <rshepard at appl-ecosys.com> wrote:
> On Tue, 31 Oct 2006, Alan Isaac wrote:
>
> > The easiest access to this discussion for me was
> > http://news.gmane.org/group/gmane.comp.python.devel/ I cannot add to this
> > discussion, but I REALLY hope others will help Travis out here.  (A few
> > have.) He is fielding a lot of questions, some of which look to me to be
> > from individuals who are ready to have fairly strong opinions without
> > really understanding the "why" of his proposals.
>
>    All this is sufficiently far from my areas of expertise that I cannot
> contribute anything useful. Otherwise, I'd be happy to lend support.

I actually worry about the same: I really would like to help, but
after reading the whole discussion, I realized that the low-level
details being asked and discussed are something I don't really know
enough to say anything.  And I don't want to sound simply saying 'Hey,
Travis is great, listen to him!' to python-dev, since that (asides
from looking silly) can be somewhat counter-productive.

It seems to me that Travis has already tried hard to organize the
high-level overview of the issue for python-dev, and the rest of the
discussion is one that only those who really have used these features
can contribute to.

But Travis obviously needs help on this, and it seems to me that some
in the python-dev crowd are just resisting.  I was wondering if a way
to contribute could be to set up a wiki page for this particular
topic, where the salient points of the discussion can be summarized
and polished as things evolve.  This would also give a reference for
each idea as it clarifies, and it could serve to point the
hard-to-break python-devvers to: by having a clean summary of the
points, both high- and low-level, they might see the whole thing with
more clarity.

How does that sound, Travis?  Is that something you think might help
you, esp. since so many of us are feeling woefully underqualified to
lend a useful hand in the actual discussion on python-dev?

Regards,