[SciPy-user] Scipy works on AMD now

Andrew Straw strawman at astraw.com
Wed Sep 13 00:39:47 CDT 2006

Ryan Krauss wrote:
> John,
>
> Are you running 32bit or 64bit?  I have heard of people wrestling with
> 64bit, but never heard anyone fully declare victory.
numpy/scipy (and just about all other open source software I've tried)
work great in full 64-bit mode linux (both Debian sarge and Ubuntu
Dapper). In fact, the only reasons I keep a 32-bit chroot around are
Google Earth, Skype, Flash, and to build x86 packages on a fast machine.
(This machine is, by far, faster than others I have access too. This in
fact is a problem -- I only want to work on it now!) I have not tried
Windows in 64-bit mode, but I hear that driver support is often an issue.