[SciPy-user] "catching warnings"

Christian Meesters meesters at uni-mainz.de
Tue Sep 19 03:59:49 CDT 2006

Hi,

In some cases calling interpolate.splrep results in the following warning:

Warning:     The required storage space exceeds the available strorage space.
    Probably causes: nest to small or s is too small. (fp>s)

That's a really nice information to prevent the user from making more serious
mistakes.

I'm now trying to use the function in combination with some GUI-code. In my
particular case, smoothing some curves might make sense. For pysical reasons
it only makes sense, if the user applies only a small smoothing factor. Yet,
I'd like to inform the user in case she / he is overdoing it, but have no
chance to calculate a good factor in advance, because this is dataset
dependend. Anyway, I should certainly inform the user about this warning.

Is there a way to "catch" this warning, almost like an exception?

TIA,
Christian

PS Suggestion: Perhaps one could change the lines above into:

Warning:     The required storage space exceeds the available storage space.
    Probable causes: nest to small or s is too small. (fp>s)