[SciPy-user] Pros and Cons of Python verses other array environments

Travis Oliphant oliphant.travis at ieee.org
Thu Sep 28 11:44:07 CDT 2006

Hi all,

I've started a possibly controversial but hopefully informative page
that tries to list some of the advantages of using
Python+NumPy+Scipy+Matplotlib+IPython (I'm calling that combination
PyLab) versus other array environments.

The purpose is not to go into detail about semantic differences, but
document higher-level differences that might help somebody decide
whether or not they could use NumPy instead of some other environment.
I've started with a comparison to MATLAB, based on an email response I
sent to a friend earlier today.

Additions and corrections welcome.

-Travis O.