[SciPy-user] Pros and Cons of Python verses other array environments

John Hassler hasslerjc at adelphia.net
Thu Sep 28 14:37:49 CDT 2006

I really don't agree that "python is slightly harder to figure out for
complete beginners" (Gael). (You knew SOMEBODY would be disagreeable).
I've used/taught Matlab, Mathcad, Scilab, and Python ... not to mention
Fortran, QBasic, VBasic, etc.

In Python, I click on Idle and start calculating.  Maybe I have to
"import math," but that's it.  Sure, there are some points I have to
know, but believe me, it's a lot easier than starting a beginner on
Mathcad.  Scilab is very similar to Matlab (except that Scilab is free,
and has a nicer syntax for functions).  If I want array calculations,
it's one more "import," but otherwise no more difficult than Matlab and
friends, and much easier than Mathcad.

Now, suppose I want to do something a little more complicated, and I
want a function.  In Python (and Scilab), I can define the function on
the fly, and then use it.  In Matlab, I have to save the function in an
"m-file" before I can use it, which brings up all kinds of problems of
where to put the file, what to name it, etc.  Easy enough for us, maybe,
but not for our prototypical "complete beginner."  (It's also not
esthetically pleasing ... but that's a different problem.)  In Mathcad,
simple functions are pretty easy; complex ones are pretty not easy, but
there's a fair bit to learn before you can make any of them work.

I wouldn't expect a student to write functions in any of these without
at least some background, and the required background in Python is
certainly no more than that in any of the others.  The biggest
difference, for me, is that Python can "keep going."
Matlab/Scilab/Mathcad all hit the wall fairly quickly, in terms of
program size and/or complexity.

But my real peeve is that Matlab is incomplete (batteries NOT
included).  I'm "visiting faculty" (hired help - I've retired, but I'm
teaching a course).  There came a point where we needed to solve a small
set of simultaneous nonlinear equations.  The students here are required
to have Matlab, so I said, "Just call up fsolve."  Oops.  In Matlab,
that's not in the student version.  They'd have to buy the "optimization
toolbox" to get it.  EVERY other math system has it ... but it costs
extra in Matlab.

I wasn't fond of Matlab before that, but that little incident really
soured me on it.  (So I taught them flowsheet tearing.  If you know what
that is, you're a Chemical Engineer, and you're old.)

I've never taught Python to "complete beginners," but I _have_ taught
Matlab and Mathcad, and I can't imagine that Python would be any more
difficult to teach.  Maybe a beginners tutorial aimed at scientific
calculation would help (although they exist on the web), but I think
that the problem is really more of perception than reality.

john