[SciPy-user] Pros and Cons of Python verses other array environments

Bill Baxter wbaxter at gmail.com
Thu Sep 28 20:05:24 CDT 2006

The numpy for matlab users page
( http://www.scipy.org/NumPy_for_Matlab_Users )
also list a number of pros and cons.

So far, I find the biggest cons to numpy to be
1) integration of plotting is not as good as matlab.  You have to be
careful about calling "show()" in matplotlib because of event-loop
integration issues.  Also no good 3D plotting solution.  MayaVi is
supposed to be good, but it would be better if it were all just built
into matplotlib.
2) integration of debugging is not as good as matlab.  In matlab when
you stop at a breakpoint in your code, you get an interactive console
where you can probe current values in your program, or create new ones
etc.  The Wing IDE has this, but I couldn't find any open source IDEs
that did this.

--bb