[SciPy-user] Pros and Cons of Python verses other array environments

Bill Baxter wbaxter at gmail.com
Thu Sep 28 20:57:19 CDT 2006

On 9/29/06, Fernando Perez <fperez.net at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 9/28/06, Bill Baxter <wbaxter at gmail.com> wrote:
> > The numpy for matlab users page
> > ( http://www.scipy.org/NumPy_for_Matlab_Users )
> > also list a number of pros and cons.
> >
> > So far, I find the biggest cons to numpy to be
> > 1) integration of plotting is not as good as matlab.  You have to be
> > careful about calling "show()" in matplotlib because of event-loop
> > integration issues.  Also no good 3D plotting solution.  MayaVi is
> > supposed to be good, but it would be better if it were all just built
> > into matplotlib.
> > 2) integration of debugging is not as good as matlab.  In matlab when
> > you stop at a breakpoint in your code, you get an interactive console
> > where you can probe current values in your program, or create new ones
> > etc.  The Wing IDE has this, but I couldn't find any open source IDEs
> > that did this.
>
> You may want to try ipython.  It's a console program, not an IDE, but
> it does both of the above (no 3d plotting, just integrating
> 'intelligently' with mpl).  I'll be happy to provide you with further
> details if you have questions.

Hey Fernando.   I actually broke down and started using ipython
instead of pyCrust recently, despite my dislike for being stuck in the
lame Windows console.  It is a great shell, (love the ? and "func arg"
--> "func(arg)" features).  Just sad that it's locked into text mode.
Hopefully the ipython1 project will keep moving along so we can have
ipython in a GUI before long.

As for its debug console ability, I wasn't aware of that.  I knew you
could have it trigger the debugger at a breakpoint, but then you drop
into a prompt with debugger syntax rather than normal python syntax,
right?  So you have to prefix every command with something.  Is there
some other mode that I'm not aware of that gives you a regular
console?

No gui also means setting breakpoints by line number or function name, no?

--bb