[SciPy-user] Pros and Cons of Python verses other array environments

Fabian Braennstroem f.braennstroem at gmx.de
Fri Sep 29 03:17:50 CDT 2006

Hi John,

* John Hunter <jdhunter at ace.bsd.uchicago.edu> wrote:

>    Rob> All of the arguments made *for* PyLab are true -- you think
>    Rob> so too, or you wouldn't be reading this.  I have been a huge
>    Rob> proponent of PyLab, and have taught seminars on it here at
>    Rob> Texas A&M and Woods Hole to people who primarily use MATLAB.
>    Rob> I have heard a number of objections or excuses that it all
>    Rob> looks good, but.....  - it's hard to install - I already know
>    Rob> how to use MATLAB, and it works fine for me - when do I find
>    Rob> a week (or month or semester) to learn a new programing
>    Rob> language - I already have so many m-files that I would need
>    Rob> to rewrite

 [...]
>   So aside from my support for GNU and linux and open source software, I
>   don't want to wake up some day outside the folds of academia having to
>   pay for matlab.  Every day I use matlab is another set of plotting and
>   analysis functions that I come to rely on, which makes it increasingly
>   hard to go cold turkey. Every once in a while I make an aborted attempt
>   to give it up (I know it's not good for me) but I always find
>   myself coming back.  The main reason is the graphics -- the ease with
>   which I can make publication quality figures that I just haven't found
>   in competing, open source, free as in Richard Stallman
>   (http://www.gnu.org/philosophy/free-sw.html), solutions.

Pretty interesting! I hope I can convince my Prof to go for
pyhton using your arguments ... but I do not
understand that there is a problem with publication quality
graphics. For 2D matplotlib should be enough; for 3D
mayavi2/tvtk and python-vtk should be able to produce
quality graphics too!?

Greetings!
 Fabian