[SciPy-user] Pros and Cons of Python verses other array environments

William Hunter willemjagter at gmail.com
Fri Sep 29 03:30:54 CDT 2006

As a newbie and non-programmer...

If I could alter my knowledge/experiences in a flash, I would add some
(not exactly sure what though) C programming after doing a thorough
Python course. Then I would read a few good articles on open source
and what it is. Get up to speed with the terminology used in mailing
lists and what they refer to, and how to use a mailing list. Get
people excited about open source.

I think many first years (and non-programmers like myself) will then
better understand what PyLab is about.

Also, I realised that I need to take my MATLAB cap off when working
with PyLab. When I do that, I tend to get to solutions quicker, I
think one should come to the party with an attitude of "This is a
different tool to solve engineering/science problems with."

My biggest gripe is the inconsistent look of of the wikis, but I
suppose I could change that. Lot of work for nothing really...

As for easy installation: Enthought's a beauty (bit big though). A
Windows PyLab installer and a Linux PyLab deb or rpm would be great...
 Is this realistic though, taking into acount all the Linux flavours
out there?
--
WH