[SciPy-user] Pros and Cons of Python verses other array environments

David Cournapeau david at ar.media.kyoto-u.ac.jp
Fri Sep 29 03:43:21 CDT 2006

Fabian Braennstroem wrote:

> Pretty interesting! I hope I can convince my Prof to go for
> pyhton using your arguments ... but I do not
> understand that there is a problem with publication quality
> graphics. For 2D matplotlib should be enough; for 3D
> mayavi2/tvtk and python-vtk should be able to produce
> quality graphics too!?

I don't really understand either. As I said earlier, I have some grips
about matplotlib, but the export is not one of them, I would say it is a
strong point of matplotlib, on the contrary; I always find matlab's way
of exporting clumsy, and latex support in matplotlib is easier to use,
too. The only problem I ever had with matplotlib for exporting to eps
for articles is to have wasted one half hour to find a way to get
transparent background.

David