[SciPy-user] Debian Sarge and Python

David Cournapeau david at ar.media.kyoto-u.ac.jp
Fri Sep 29 04:30:43 CDT 2006

Seweryn Kokot wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I've started reading this group for 5 days and I find the discussions
> really interesting. For some time I also started with Python and
> looking forward to replacing Matlab with SciPy/Matplotlib and
> friends.
> The problem is that I'm using Debian Sarge and the packages are so
> outdated especially in the case of SciPy and Matplotlib which are in
> continous and fast progress.
> Of course I could compile all the packages myself but I'm wondering if
> there are some other Debian Sarge users and how they cope with the
> problem?

There are "beta" versions of the packages here, which I think are the
incoming official ones for etch:

http://deb-scipy.alioth.debian.org/apt/

They also worked more or less on ubuntu edgy if you are willing to make
trivial changes in the sources of the package (I cannot remember which
ones out of my head); that's what I am using personally,

David