[SciPy-user] Pros and Cons of Python verses other array environments

Steven H. Rogers steve at shrogers.com
Sat Sep 30 09:50:28 CDT 2006

G'day David:

I believe the weaknesses you list are well understood and are being
addressed.  I don't think it fair to say that SciPy looks like alpha
software.  It may not have a slick interface suitable for the most naive
users, but it is quite powerful.

You'll have to decide about the "safety" of recommending Python/NumPy/SciPy
for your organization.  I introduced Python into an engineering organization
   about six years ago as a scripting language for a piece of equipment we
were developing and am just beginning to introduce NumPy.  It's been a bumpy
road, but Python has gained wider adoption than I expected.  Many of our
engineers can write an FFT in C or assembly, but balked at Python.  Once
they really used it, most grew to like it and only drop down to lower level
code when necessary.

I'd suggest looking for a niche requirement that SciPy can fill as a
starting point.  If it does well there, you can expand to other niches.  If
not, the risk should be minimal.

Regards,
Steve

Steven H. Rogers, Ph.D., steve at shrogers.com
Weblog: http://shrogers.com/weblog
"He who refuses to do arithmetic is doomed to talk nonsense."
-- John McCarthy