[SciPy-user] Pros and Cons of Python verses other array environments

Bill Northcott w.northcott at unsw.edu.au
Sat Sep 30 21:12:57 CDT 2006

On 30/09/2006, at 5:23 PM, David Finlayson wrote:
> control the .NET framework. So, I think that average engineers and
> scientists are aware of Python the language and would be receptive
> to a data
> analysis package in Python so long as it was polished and well
> done. For
> example, the R statistical language has done a good job of
> packaging up R
> for Windows (I wish it were as well integrated into Gnome).

I think this is a very good comparison.  Python desperately needs
something like CTAN, CPAN, CRAN to bring some order out of the
current state of creative chaos.  These repositories make it simple
to extend environments like Tex, Perl and R.  R itself has much in
common with Pylab.  Matlab is often used to do the sort of advanced
stats that might also be done in R .  R however has nice potted
Windows and MacOS distributions.  The MacOS package also includes all
the necessary dependencies (X11 Tcl/Tk and gfortran) which are not in
Apple's Developer Tools.

Bill Northcott