[SciPy-user] QME-Dev Workbench (wxSciPy) Beta 2.7 - RELEASED TODAY on sourceforge

Robert VERGNES robert.vergnes@yahoo...
Mon Apr 2 04:17:36 CDT 2007

What's New on QME-DEV (wxSciPy) workbench on Beta 0.2.7.x:
Download:
http://sourceforge.net/project/platformdownload.php?group_id=181979

*Compatible Python 2.4 and wxPython 2.6.x:
As most of the people are (still) using Python 2.4 and wxpython 2.6.x.. I did a back port from Python 2.5 and wxpython 2.8 .
So now the version QME-DEV Beta 0.2.7 should be working on Mandriva and xUbuntu

*Externally Processed Python Shells:
You can now Run several VERY long tasks and keep working with the wxGUI !
Thank you to Josiah Carlson for his library and help on this issue. It is now functional.
The advantage of externally processed Python Shells is that you can start long tasks
and the wxGUI is not blocked or frozen. So you can use it to plot, prepare your script or
do other things such as export/import data etc... (tested with 5 shells running on long
tasks > 35min, tested:solo-long task > 1hr). In fact the Python Shell windows in the main
application are just terminals to the underlying Python Shells... which are external
process to the application. The python shell windows you see are not the shells,..
this is clever.. and it does work nicely. Again. Thank you Josiah !

*Externally Processed MatplotLib window-canvas:
So Matplotlib windows are stable and stays up even when wxGUI has some troubles
or handles something else. It also gives full MatPlotlib (pylab) user functionalities
( zoom, save, etc..) as I use the original Pylab library.
Usually you cannot have that with wxMPL unless you do the implementation yourself.
-if people need other kind of plotting than curves let me know I might look at it.
But I need example data file / .py srcipt - etc..
The time-stamp and parameters-stamp work (on/off) and are displayed on the graph.

* Transfer to / from the Python Shell of the values :
Data to/from wxGUI from/to Python Shells ,
Transfer of data "from/to the wx.GUI to/from the shells" is now working via temporary files.
It has been tested With up to 100,000linesx10 columns. Transfer to the wxGrid without troubles.
It CAN be MUCH more but I have not tested it.
While writing, I am testing longs tasks > 60min with 1 million lines vector output which
will be transfered in the wxGrid GUI.
The way it works: a part of the dictionary from the wxGUI application goes to the shell
and then a dictionary from the shell comes back updated to the application.
( after you scripts has run for example). So you can plot straight-away.

*Improved Window and Sizer stability:
I Removed the collapsible pane controls from the notebooks.
I did not manage to have the collapsible panes to work properly inside a notebook.
And it was creating some strange problem with resizing and reducing the Main window.
So they have been removed and sizing is now working ok.

*File Impot/Export:
Now the CSV import/export works as well as the TSV.
The DataGrid accepts Float, Integer, Complex, String(date format default to string).

*Stability:
I had no crash during several hours in row with long task running
( more than 5 long tasks in 5 shells)

What is QME-DEV(wxSciPy) Workbench:
It is a Python based workbench GUI to help analyze experimental datas.
You can load/save/export datas, graph and apply scripts to your data using Shells which are
linked with the GUI. (ie the data's GUI dictionaries are transfered to the shell
namespace so you can use you data in the shell).
The application is organized by experiment -a datapage, one experiment-, a set of experiments
 a set of datapages. The DataPage 0 - is your first experiment, the DataPage 1, the second
and so on... In each DataPage,so for each of your experiment, you have a grid page( excel like),
 an equation page ( where you can write your python script and set some parameters
(for curve fitting for example)), a GraphPage to plot your data, a Shell Page where the data
of the current experiment (in the current DataGrid) will be transfered along with your script
for execution and/or manual work in the shell, and finally you have a NotePage to take some notes.
In the equation page ( where you can copy some python script to be executed later in the Shell of
this page),  you have 2 buttons. One button [Eval] which sends the data's dictionary of your
current DataPage(experiment) to the Shell along with your script for execution.
And you have below a second button [GetBack] which allows you get back the namespace from
the Shell ( after execution and/or manual work) into the DataGrid of the  current page.
If you create new variables during your script executions and you want to see this variables
 in your grid, the labels of the columns of the grid must be set first. As the GUI cannot
guess what you want from the Shell. A Help with examples is included in the package
(pdf format). The GUI is based on wxPython and it uses SciPy or other library for your scientific
and math scripts.

Needed libraries(dependencies):
Python 2.4, wxPython 2.6.x, SciPy 0.5.x, Numpy, and MatPloLib (pylab).

The download address: www.sf.net/projects/qme-dev