[SciPy-user] question about standalone small software and teaching

stef mientki s.mientki@mailbox.kun...
Wed Apr 4 06:47:00 CDT 2007

massimo sandal wrote:
> Giorgio Luciano ha scritto:
>> At first I thought ... hey why people wat an interface, just use the
>> console, and then after listening  to their reason I have to agree.
>> What do I generally do ? I have a matrix in txt, I apply my routines
>> (a SVD, a PCA, a filter etc etc  written in python), plot them (using
>> maplotlib) and then I want an output. that's it.
>> I started looking at various Qt etc. etc. but for me it's
>> overhelming, because I think that the most important part should be
>> dedicate to the routines creation and not to making a gui, compiling,
>> etc. etc. I need simple command like people wants. grids, paste and
>> copy, small working plots :)
>> I mean I can get crazy with setting my program, importing etc. etc.
>> but I also have to say that needs and claim about writing simple
>> guis, common paste and copy etc should be considered from someone
>> there (we wait for the help of some guru that makes things easier ;)
>
> It's quite hard for me to understand what you mean.
>
> Anyway, I solved the issue of usability vs code simplicity for my data
> analysis application by using a mixed CLI+GUI design. That is, I have
> a very simple GUI that just shows the plot and may have some
> button/menu for basic operations, and a custom command line to finely
> work with it. Think of RasMol, for example. The custom command line is
> done with the Python Cmd module that is included with Python, and it's
> a breeze to code with. The GUI uses Matplotlib embedded with wxMPL in
> a wxPython frame. The command line and the GUI are threaded (work on
> two different threads) that communicate by passing events (cli-->gui)
> and with a Queue (gui-->cli): easy.

Do you have a website or document describing your method in more detail ?
I always love to see solutions of others, to see what I'm missing.

cheers,
Stef Mientki

--
cheers,