[SciPy-user] Fast saving/loading of huge matrices

Fri Apr 20 02:36:38 CDT 2007

On Fri, Apr 20, 2007 at 09:30:15AM +0200, Francesc Altet wrote:
> As I said before, be used to recarrays. If you have reasons for sticking
> with dictionaries, it is straighforward converting a dict into a
> recarray.

You are most definitely right that most people (including me) don't use
recarrays enough. However when importing hdf5 I want to keep part of the
versatility of hdf5: it is hierarchical and can save much more than
arrays. Dictionnaries can mirror this possibility quite well in Python.
This is why I think they are well suited for helper functions to do IO
with hdf5.

As a side note, we do use this richness of hdf5 in our experiment, to
store say the time of an experimental run, the temperature of the room...

Gaël