[SciPy-user] best way of finding a function

Robert Kern robert.kern@gmail....
Fri Apr 27 11:43:07 CDT 2007

Trevis Crane wrote:
> Hi,
>
> One thing that makes it hard to get into using SciPy and Python is the
> decentralized nature of the documentation.  My problem is that I want to
> use the arc-hyperbolic sine function.  I have no idea where this is in
> order to import it (and in all likelihood I could import it from any
> number of sources).  I can’t seem to find it looking through the
> documentation on scipy.org.  This is a specific example, but in general
> what’s the best way of finding where some given function is in order to
> import it?

Well, it is numpy.arcsinh(). Googling for "numpy arcsinh" brings up numerous
hits including this:

  http://www.scipy.org/Numpy_Example_List

The problem is that you had to know it was called "arcsinh" rather than
searching for it in a (nonunique) expanded form "arc-hyperbolic sine." This
isn't a terribly soluble problem; we refer to it in the docstring with the
(possibly more correct) expanded form "inverse hyperbolic sine", a search for
which would have given you this:

  http://www.scipy.org/Numpy_Example_List_With_Doc

--
Robert Kern