[SciPy-user] How to install SciPy in the most simplest way ?
Fri Apr 27 12:00:12 CDT 2007
Bryce Hendrix wrote:
> What problems did you run into with Enstaller?
I put a copy of my remarks below, don't know if they arrived at Enthought.
> Its no longer alpha-
but as far as know, you can't find it on the Enthought site,
unless you know the exact URL.
> although some features are missing, it should behave very well. There
> haven't been any changes in several weeks, I encourage you to try it
> again if its been a while.
I tried a few days ago.
The problem might be a difference in the definition of user friendly,
between NIX and Windows users.
> If you want a simple install, you can create an msi that has a custom
> action to call a script which will install eggs using the Enstaller in
> the command line mode. You can also just copy the Python install
> directory to another machine, it should work okay,
That's really great news, (and the answer I was hoping to get ;-)
because I just tested it just a little bit and it seems to work.
> but you won't get the
> start menu additions
I think there's a solution for, but I have to test it.
> or the explorer integration (double clicking on a
> python file will do nothing).
No, but for that you've to change the windows registry.
So possibly I make this an optional install feature.
========== start copy ===========
thank you for creating Enthought edition.
I downloaded it a few months ago, at everything went fluently.
Because of a buggy signal library, I was advised (by Robert Kern) to
upgrade my package.
As a beginner to Python and a spoiled windows-user this didn't went so
(and I realize it's an alpha version)
Here a my steps and remarks.
- I removed all python from my winXP (SP 1)
- I used the msi installer, which works great (real windows ;-)
- After it installed basic Python on "P:\Program Files\Python\"
it started some kind of DOS box (probably Python) which closed right away
- Then I figured out (by trying some different installs) that the
problem was in the SPACE in the filepath
- So I deinstalled Python again
- Installed Python at "P:\Python\", and it worked, great !!
And my first tests with signal.py showed less bugs, I think I still have
but I will investigate that in the next few days.
Now some remarks about enstaller (remember I'm a spoiled windows user ;-)
- the user interaction is terribly slow (2.5 GHz AMD)
- the scroll button on the mouse makes much too small steps
- why not a button "select all packages to install" , after all what's a
few GB nowadays
- there seemed to be no progressbar, so I wondered what was going on (I
later discovered some logging)
- the reposteries where not updated correctly ( a number of packages
were marked as "n", which I presumes means "No", but were colored blue,
and reinstalling gave message "succesfully installed" but marked was
Thanks for enstaller (despite it's alpha characteristics),
========= end copy =========
More information about the SciPy-user