[SciPy-user] best way of finding a function

Stef Mientki s.mientki@ru...
Fri Apr 27 12:08:46 CDT 2007

Robert Kern wrote:
> Trevis Crane wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> One thing that makes it hard to get into using SciPy and Python is the
>> decentralized nature of the documentation.  My problem is that I want to
>> use the arc-hyperbolic sine function.  I have no idea where this is in
>> order to import it (and in all likelihood I could import it from any
>> number of sources).  I can’t seem to find it looking through the
>> documentation on scipy.org.  This is a specific example, but in general
>> what’s the best way of finding where some given function is in order to
>> import it?

Very good question, I often had the feeling to ask that question, but I
didn't dare  ;-)

> Well, it is numpy.arcsinh(). Googling for "numpy arcsinh" brings up numerous
> hits including this:
>
>   http://www.scipy.org/Numpy_Example_List
>
> The problem is that you had to know it was called "arcsinh" rather than
> searching for it in a (nonunique) expanded form "arc-hyperbolic sine."
That is one of the problems,
the other problem is to know that you have to refer to "numpy" !!

I understand that it's very difficult to get a homogeneous help
documentation,
on the other hand, it shouldn't be too difficult to generate some kind
of database,
where all functions from all packages in the Python directory are gathered.
So I really wonder if some one hasn't done that yet.

cheers,
Stef Mientki