[SciPy-user] best way of finding a function

Francesc Altet faltet@carabos....
Fri Apr 27 12:18:17 CDT 2007

El dv 27 de 04 del 2007 a les 11:14 -0600, en/na Fernando Perez va
escriure:
> On 4/27/07, Francesc Altet <faltet@carabos.com> wrote:
> > El dv 27 de 04 del 2007 a les 11:49 -0500, en/na Trevis Crane va
> > escriure:
> > > OK thank you.  But in the generalized case, for you guys/gals who are
> > > more experienced, when looking for a function for the first time, is
> > > this what you usually do -- Google it?
> >
> > Google helps a lot indeed.
> >
> > I use also quite a lot the TAB key in IPython, and the '?' mark after a
> > name function that I'm not sure if it is what I'm after.  When this
> > technique is used in combination with packages that are hierarchically
> > structured (i.e. subpackages of subpackages) like SciPy is, this turns
> > out to be stunningly effective (at least for me).
>
> The following little trick in ipython is also worth knowing about:
>
> In [2]: import numpy
>
> In [3]: numpy.*cos*?
> numpy.arccos
> numpy.arccosh
> numpy.cos
> numpy.cosh

That's great. I should find time to read the ipython manual more in
deep. It will save me a lot of time :)

--
Francesc Altet    |  Be careful about using the following code --
Carabos Coop. V.  |  I've only proven that it works,