[SciPy-user] help with list comprehensions

Neil Muller drnlmuller+scipy@gmail....
Wed Aug 1 13:58:05 CDT 2007

On 8/1/07, Stephen Yang <scyang@nist.gov> wrote:
> Hello everyone,
>
> I have a question about list comprehensions. I would like to append data
> to an existing list using a list comprehension. Unfortunately, what I
> have tried does not seem to work:
>
>  >>> y = [5, 1, 3, 5]
>  >>> x = ['a', 'b']
>  >>> new = [x.append(data) for data in y]
>  >>> new
> [None, None, None, None]

Since x.append(data) returns None.

And x at this point will be ['a', 'b', 5, 1, 3, 5]

I'm not sure what you're trying to achieve here, and why x.extend(y)
or new=x+y isn't sufficient, so perhaps if you explained your problem
in more depth?

--
Neil Muller
drnlmuller@gmail.com

I've got a gmail account. Why haven't I become cool?