[SciPy-user] General Python Question: nested function calls

Wed Aug 1 15:22:32 CDT 2007

On Wed, Aug 01, 2007 at 02:56:59PM -0500, Ryan Krauss wrote:
> That would have been a better solution in this case - I have done that
> before and don't know why I didn't here.

> Any thoughts on the same situation with calling a parent class's
> method.  I just wrote code that did this:
> def __init__(self, pathin=None, dialect=spreadsheet.tabdelim):
>         spreadsheet.SpreadSheet.__init__(self, pathin=pathin,
> skiprows=0, collabels=collabels, colmap=colmap, datafunc=float,
> picklekeys=['t','lg','a','v0'])

> Basically, I do a few other things and then call the parent's __init__
> somewhere in the middle.

I had a similar problem recently and resolved it using a complex
machinery (my requirements where a bit more complex than only this). I
used traits, but you could do this without traits (though it would be
harder).

The thread concerning this problem and its solution can be found at
https://mail.enthought.com/pipermail/enthought-dev/2007-August/007820.html

This is heavy machinery, but there are some ideas to steal.

Gaël