[SciPy-user] Python evangelism question: procedural programming

Ryan Krauss ryanlists@gmail....
Fri Aug 3 09:55:17 CDT 2007

I have a colleague in our electrical engineering department who today
asked me "What's good about Python?".  I responded with "What's bad
about Python?"

I am used to responding to engineering colleagues in terms of Python
vs Matlab, but this particular person uses Mathematica almost
exclusively.  So, he wanted to know if Python could be used like
Mathematica in terms of writing rule and procedure based programs.  I
don't know how difficult this would be.

I don't do this kind of work and think of Mathematica primarily as a
symbolic algebra language, so that Python could not easily replace it.

Does anyone have experience of coming from Mathematica to Python and
whether or not I should try and convince this person to pursue Python?

Thanks,

Ryan