[SciPy-user] Testing BOF at scipy'07?

Fernando Perez fperez.net@gmail....
Wed Aug 8 11:57:39 CDT 2007

Hi Titus,

On 8/7/07, Titus Brown <titus@caltech.edu> wrote:
> -> I'm not sure if you're on the scipy mailing list, so I'm writing
> -> directly to you.  I've penciled in a testing BOF session for Wednesday
> -> night after the tutorials, and was wondering if you'd be able to
> -> participate.  We all know that you are very involved with testing in
> -> python, and many of us are eager for a good discussion on the topic,
> -> where we think you'd have much to contribute.
> ->
> -> The end of the thread is pasted below for reference, the rest of the
> -> conversation (just scheduling details, really) took place on the scipy
> -> user list in case you are curious.  This message is still cc-d to the
> -> list.
>
> I am indeed not on the list and it seems a bit slow to subscribe at the
> moment, so perhaps you could forward my reply on to the list...

CC-d here.

> I'd love to participate!

Great!

> Two things:
>
>  - first, there's no reason to limit the BoF to an hour, since we (me
>    and other Python people at Caltech) can reserve rooms for free for as
>    long as is needed.
>
>  - second, we were already thinking about doing a SoCal Python Interest
>    Group meeting on Wednesday and just inviting everybody.  I can't
>    imagine that Grig and I would have any problems with focusing it on
>    testing, effectively turning it into a testing BoF.  Do you want to
>    combine, or perhaps stage things separately?
>
>    One advantage to combining is that we usually get pizza for our SoCal
>    PIGgies meeting.  It's usually $10/person (max), and the pizza is
>    pretty good quality (not Dominos!) so it might be a way to provide
>    dinner for attendees.
>
> What do you think?

I'm happy with the idea of combining, unless anyone else objects.  As
long as they don't mind that we'd probably like to focus on issues
that are more immediately relevant to scientific users (so for example
numerical correctness testing may be a bit higher on the list than say
GUI testing for deployment to customers).

The only other thing is that is would be good to still hold the BOF at
Caltech itself, since the conference people will gravitate around
that.  Is that OK with Grig?

I'll be arriving Monday night and will be there for the tutorials
(mine is the first on Tuesday), so if you prefer we can sort out last
minute details there.  But feel free to make any arrangements you deem
necessary.

Cheers,