[SciPy-user] New scipy release before 8/20?

Thu Aug 9 21:33:01 CDT 2007

Stefan van der Walt wrote:
> On Thu, Aug 09, 2007 at 12:15:36PM +0900, David Cournapeau wrote:
>>> What would have been really cool is if we had an automated packaging
>>> system, so that releasing was as simple as tagging and pushing a
>>> button.
>> Well, that's exactly why I started a scipy+numpy project on the openSUSE
>> build system: http://software.opensuse.org/download/home:/ashigabou/.
>> When the tarballs for the new releases of numpy and scipy are available,
>> it will take me two lines change to build and make available rpms for
>> various distributions.
>
> That's absolutely brilliant, David.  Andrew Straw has done the same
> (using Launchpad) for Ubuntu.  Do you know of a way to do this for
> Windows?  That platform seems to pose the biggest problem.
Building and distributing binaries is really hard work (and not that
grateful :) ). The thing you want is automatic and repeatable builds,
which means having the possibility to get a specified environment at
will. Windows and Mac OS X are inherently difficult to make this kind of
things; Mac OS X being more sane and stable hardwares wise, you can
assume than when it works on one PPC and one Intel machine, it works on
most machines. This is only my experience, though.

I don't know any way to do things totally automatically for windows, but
I am not familiar with this platform. I don't know how installable
packages are built on windows (does distutils provides the ability to do
installers ?).

Call me crazy, but I think the best thing to distribute binaries would
be the ability to do cross compilation; unfortunately, cross compilation
for python is not easy at all. I intend to take a look at GUB
(http://lilypond.org/~janneke/bzr/gub.darcs/) which is used by lilypond
to compile binaries for many platforms, including mac os X, windows,
linux and FreeBSD.

cheers

David