[SciPy-user] New scipy release before 8/20?

Sat Aug 11 01:12:28 CDT 2007

Fernando Perez wrote:
> On 8/10/07, Stefan van der Walt <stefan@sun.ac.za> wrote:
>
>> Another option is to build the packages under vmware.  If you can
>> obtain a licensed copy of windows somewhere, there are instructions on
>> the internet on how to create a vmware image.  Vmplayer is a free
>> download.
>
> The player is free but doesn't allow you to create new images, only to
> run existing ones.  The vmware SERVER, however, is now also freely
> available
>
> http://www.vmware.com/download/server/
>
> The advantage is that the server product allows the creation of new
> images, hence is the one you want if you are going to make a fresh
> WinXP install on a linux box.  I've used it successfully under Ubuntu
> for a while, and  I love it.

You can also run windows under linux with other ways, including qemu,
xen, etc... The problem is that I find it really difficult to use for a
repetive process. Basically, what would be nice, and maybe doable with
buildbot, I don't know, is the following:
    - have a "default" windows image, with nothing installed (equivalent
of bootstraping minimal installation in a chrott environement under linux)
    - being able to script it through some network process to
automatically build the thing (where buildbot would help ?)

The biggest problem is the licenses problems: you cannot distribute the
images for various reasons, etc...

David