[SciPy-user] neighbourhood of randomly scattered points

Robert Kern robert.kern@gmail....
Tue Aug 28 13:00:42 CDT 2007

fred wrote:
> Matthieu Brucher a écrit :
>> Hi,
>>
>> Considering your window and your points, it doesn't surprise me much.
>> What do you want exactly as a result ?
> Something more uniform, no ?

No.

> Why do I get these "structures" ?
>
> Can you explain me a little bit more ?

White noise isn't all that uniform. It does clump, and some kinds of displays
may show that off more than others. The orthogonal striations are a side effect
of your square definition of "neighborhood" that you used to plot and not
anything intrinsic to the data.

If you do need something more spatially uniform than what real pseudorandomness
gives you, then you should look at low-discrepancy sequences.

  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Low-discrepancy_sequence

--
Robert Kern

 an underlying truth."