[SciPy-user] SciPy ATLAS vs. Matlab 7.2 linear algebra benchmarks

Jose Unpingco unpingco@osc....
Thu Aug 30 08:57:27 CDT 2007

For this experiment, I create a square matrix with random entries of size 500, 1000, 1500, 2000 and then apply a variety of factorizations to those matrices. Naturally, each of these experiments is run on exactly the same workstation. The times are wall times in seconds.
The bottom line is that Matlab is still substantially faster than either of the ATLAS library versions. However, the newer developer version (3.7.37) of the ATLAS library is about one third faster than the previous version (3.6). Note that Enthought SciPy distribution includes ATLAS 3.6.
There is a graph summarizing the results at the following link:
http://www.osc.edu/~unpingco/Benchmarks30Aug2007.jpg

Please contact me if you have questions or need more information.

Thanks!

Jose Unpingco, Ph.D.
(619)553-2922