[SciPy-user] SciPy ATLAS vs. Matlab 7.2 linear algebra benchmarks

Robert Kern robert.kern@gmail....
Thu Aug 30 11:39:26 CDT 2007

Jose Unpingco wrote:
> For this experiment, I create a square matrix with random entries of
> size 500, 1000, 1500, 2000 and then apply a variety of factorizations to
> those matrices. Naturally, each of these experiments is run on exactly
> the same workstation. The times are wall times in seconds.
>
> The bottom line is that Matlab is still substantially faster than either
> of the ATLAS library versions.

Please be careful with such statements. Matlab is not the thing that's faster;
it's the BLAS and LAPACK underlying it. I see that in 7.2, they've started using
the Intel MKL or the ACML (depending on the processor) by default. That's the
source of the timing difference. Note that scipy can use either of these
libraries, too.

--
Robert Kern

 an underlying truth."