[SciPy-user] weighted least squares fit

Stefan van der Walt stefan@sun.ac...
Fri Aug 31 06:13:20 CDT 2007

On Thu, Aug 30, 2007 at 10:18:04PM -0400, Anne Archibald wrote:
> If you want a more sophisticated linear least-squares solver, look at
> ODR (which I don't know anything about). If you want nonlinear
> least-squares (scipy.optimize.leastsq), the same trick works but you
> need to put it in your objective function.

Here's a short summary of orthogonal distance regression,

http://mentat.za.net/phd-wiki-web/OrthogonalDistanceRegression.html

based on

Paul T. Boggs and Janet E. Rogers. Orthogonal Distance Regression. In
P.J. Brown and Wayne A. Fuller, editor, Contemporary
Mathematics. American Mathematical Society, Providence, Rhode Island,
1990.

Regards
Stéfan