[SciPy-user] surface plotting

Prabhu Ramachandran prabhu@aero.iitb.ac...
Mon Dec 3 05:48:28 CST 2007

Gael Varoquaux wrote:
> On Sun, Dec 02, 2007 at 12:56:47PM -0500, william ratcliff wrote:
>>    Can Mayavi2 be called from within a wxpython application for 3D plotting?
>
> Yes. This has been one of the great additions of this summer. Have a look
> at
> https://svn.enthought.com/enthought/browser/branches/enthought.mayavi_2.0.3a1/examples/standalone.py
> for a demo of how mayavi is integrated in a traits application. As traits
> relies on WxPython (althought, there is now a Qt front end), it is trivial to
> plug this in a WxPython applictation (ask if you need help).

I wouldn't say it is "trivial" but certainly relatively easy to do.  The
best place to ask would be on the enthought-dev list.

>>    At one point I did this with tvtk (using pyface, etc), but not with
>>    mayavi.  How different is the mlab within tvtk from that in mayavi2?
[...]
> allowing you to use its nice API and features in you own app. Mlab is a
> simplied API for Mayavi that tries to mimic pylab/matlab. The calls are
> really simple and easy to learn. However, due to a design error on my
> side, mlab cannot be used in a standalone way, ie to integrate in an
> existing WxPython app. This will be changed, just give me a month or two
> (not that there is a huge amount of work, but that I am very busy).

Right, I don't think it should be too hard to port mlab to use the raw
engine.  There are a few design issues Gael and I will need to sort out
about how best to do this though.  As Gael said, both of us are
currently tied up it may take a month or two for this to actually happen.

cheers,
prabhu