[SciPy-user] Mathematica Element-wise Multiplication

Fri Dec 21 00:56:13 CST 2007

> I can't think of a situation where code would need to be generic
> enough to need to acceptably call what's basically a no-op on a 1D
> array. But you might be right. Still, I think it should be
> discouraged somehow, for the benefit of new users; perhaps a warn()?

This remains the same : why do you want to change something that is correct
to something that is not ? Why do you want to put a warning when people want
to do generic code ?
I do a lot of generic code, and the fact that .T does nothing for a 1D array
and does not put a warning is the behaviour I expect from Numpy. The
behaviour in Matlab is not the correct one, I can't count the number of
times I had to explain to a student why what he does does not give the
expected result.
Python is about to make things simple and clear, let's jus do not the
opposite in Numpy.

Matthieu
--
French PhD student