[SciPy-user] From the Sage/Jmol lists: "scholarly activity"?

Fernando Perez fperez.net@gmail....
Mon Dec 24 15:43:51 CST 2007

Here's something that came up on the jmol list and that William Stein
(SAGE lead) forwarded, but which is also a concern to this list.

Sage has also had discussions on the matter and the idea of a Sage
journal (http://sagemath.org/jsage/) exists already, in a similar vein
to previous discussions here on a 'scipy journal'.

I don't have any answer to this at the moment, but I'm pretty sure
it's something that will recur.  I personally know of several people
who have been bitten by this very same problem.  It's worth noting
that the original author of the JMol message is a *tenured* faculty
member at U. Wisconsin, so not even tenure seems to be a complete
protection against the perception from many academic administrators
that contributing to open source scientific projects is "not scholarly
work".

Cheers,