[SciPy-user] From the Sage/Jmol lists: "scholarly activity"?

Mon Dec 24 15:57:01 CST 2007

On Mon, Dec 24, 2007 at 02:43:51PM -0700, Fernando Perez wrote:
> Here's something that came up on the jmol list and that William Stein
> (SAGE lead) forwarded, but which is also a concern to this list.

> Sage has also had discussions on the matter and the idea of a Sage
> journal (http://sagemath.org/jsage/) exists already, in a similar vein
> to previous discussions here on a 'scipy journal'.

> I don't have any answer to this at the moment, but I'm pretty sure
> it's something that will recur.  I personally know of several people
> who have been bitten by this very same problem.  It's worth noting
> that the original author of the JMol message is a *tenured* faculty
> member at U. Wisconsin, so not even tenure seems to be a complete
> protection against the perception from many academic administrators
> that contributing to open source scientific projects is "not scholarly
> work".

Yes, it is a very important problem. Indeed it would be nice to have a
way of get scholar-like credit for work on open source projects. If this
means creating a journal dedicated to released scientific code (let us
just avoid putting "open source" in the title, it's too political), than
it may be the way to go. I think it should not be restricted to Python
and friends, a broader could increase its visibility.

Any ideas welcome, there is a Damocles sword hanging above many
contributions.

Gaël