[SciPy-user] Getting started wiki page

Mon Feb 5 01:00:19 CST 2007

Hi Stef,

Sorry for taking so long to answer your mail, I am a bit overwhelmed
currently.

On Wed, Jan 17, 2007 at 12:47:43AM +0100, Stef Mientki wrote:
>    apparently not everybody is allowed to edit the pages,

Just create an account and log in.

>    I saw yesterday the lecture of Eric Jones, Travis Oliphant,
>    despite the not-overwhelming image quality, I think it's real information
>    for newbies.
>    And if the lecture is too long, at least the handouts are great !!

The lecture is pretty good as it presents python first and numpy/scipy
afterward. It is quite outdated, though (reference to numeric and to
another plotting library than matplotlib) so I am not to keen on linking
it from the "Getting_Started" page, as it might confuse beginners.

The goal of the "Getting_Started" page is not to provide a tutorial, but
to proivde links to the minimal amount of reading needed to start hacking
in python, and to provide info that is not in tutorials (like wha modules
to use, for instance).

>    Another interesting point for newbies, might be an overview of
>    variable types, what's the difference between list and tupple ? I
>    have put my personal notes on my website, maybe it's worth to
>    include something like this

I think this should go in a mini python tutorial, just like the first
part of Travis and Eric's talk. If you want to create a page on the scipy
wiki that is a mini python tutorial and add this data to it, I think it
would be great. Such a page, combined with Dave Kuhlman's course, would
be great to get people started.

Regards,

Gaël